Here’s a detox without juicing recipe that you’ll love!
I first became hooked on fruit coolers in Mexico, where they’re known as “aguas de fruta” (literally “fruit waters”). They’re so easy to make, and so beautiful – that it’s hard not to love them. They’re great for children, to serve at parties, or just to make a light and delicious breakfast.
And they’re perfect if you want to do a detox without juicing…although they’re delicious even if you’ve got a juicer.
Each recipe serves 2 to accompany fresh fruit or other breakfast, or 1 as a breakfast on its own.
You will need:
A good blender or hand blender
- 2 cups/320g fresh pineapple chunks
- ½ cup/120ml chilled water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or other liquid sweetener (optional, use only if your pineapple isn’t sweet enough)
- ½ cup/120ml of lemon juice, lime juice or a mixture
- 3 cups/720ml chilled water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
- 6 ice cubes (if your blender doesn’t blend ice cubes, just add an extra cup of water)
- 2 cups/320g chilled watermelon
How you do it
Put the ingredients for your chosen cooler in the blender, and blend away! Drink your cooler while it’s nice and cold.
Rocking Raw Chef tips
- Any leftover cooler will keep happily in the refrigerator for a day or two.
- You can do this with lots of soft fruit: cantaloupe or other melon, oranges, strawberries and other berries, pears, papayas, mango…so do experiment! The principle is: soft fruit + water + sweetener (if desired). Very simple!
- If using melons, you don’t even need any water, as they are high in water content. Just cube your melon, and blend!
- When blending the pineapple, you may want to leave it to settle for a few minutes and scrape off the foam at the top. You’ll find a delicious elixir underneath.
- Use sparkling water for your own super-healthy fruit sodas.
- Hard fruits won’t work for this recipe – you need a juicer for that. (If you try to blend hard fruits, you have to then strain the result – which is easy enough, but time-consuming.) If you’re thinking about buying a juicer, first read my article “to juice or not to juice”.
Enjoy your Fruit Coolers!
And if you’d like to experience a ‘live’ detox with me, I run delicious Raw Food Detox programs in the Cotswolds. Details are here.