If you want a quick taco filling recipe, this one is very fast! You just need to soak the nuts (and even that is optional) and the rest takes 5 minutes.
This filling is great in wraps or for topping a salad.
If you make it the day before, it’s even better, as the flavors will have had time to mingle (a bit like us).
Makes about 2 cups/280g of filling.
Quick Taco Filling recipe
You will need:
A food processor, or the chopper attachment of your hand blender
A knife and cutting board
- 2 cups/280g walnuts, soaked for 6 hours or more and then drained (optional, but gives best texture, see tips)
- ½ cup/50g sundried tomatoes (soak if not already soft – see tips)
- ½ apple, cored and roughly chopped
- 2 scallions (spring onions), chopped
- 1 chipotle chili (soak it if dried, or use one from a jar) or 4 slices jalapeño
- ¼ cup/5g fresh cilantro (coriander) (or use parsley and add 1 teaspoon ground cilantro)
- 1½ tablespoons olive, avocado, hemp, or flax oil (they’re all delicious!)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, honey, or xylitol
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons miso (see tips)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
Optional extras (if you want a quick taco salad)
- 8 cups/450g mixed salad leaves
- 1 cup/240ml your favorite salad dressing or dip
How you do it
Divide your salad leaves among four plates or large bowls, if using. Otherwise get out lettuce leaves, or other wraps.
Combine the filling ingredients in a food processor and mix well until minced.
Serve scoops of the filling over your salad leaves with your dressing or sauce of choice, or spoon into wraps and serve with a sauce on the side. Sorted!
Rocking Raw Chef tips
- I use sundried tomatoes packed in oil, as they are easier to blend. If you’re using dry sundried tomatoes, soak them first in warm water for a few minutes.
- To make a nut-free version of this filling, substitute the nuts with 1 medium-sized zucchini (courgette), cubed.
- Miso is a fermented paste made of soy. You can find it in the oriental section of your supermarket or on Amazon. Buy without MSG or GM ingredients if you can. Either white or red miso is fine.
- Feeling really hungry? Top your salad with sliced avocado, tomato, nut cream, and olives. Yum!
- Not in the mood for Mexican? Take out the chipotle and cumin and use 2 teaspoons of any of the following instead: rosemary, sage, and thyme (for Italian); curry powder (for Indian); 2 teaspoons of lemon juice plus 1 teaspoon of soy sauce (for Oriental – leave out the salt).
- I haven’t mentioned raw wraps or tortillas here, because they require dehydration (or an oven on the lowest setting) and take longer than 5 minutes. If you want to learn to make wraps and tortillas, I offer this as part of my coaching programs which you can read about here.
And what’s more…
This recipe features in my 5-Minute Salads and Sauces, along with recipes for Way Better Than Waldorf Salad, Not Potato Salad, Mango Tango Chili Sauce, and more.
Enjoy your quick taco filling!
And of course, let me know what you think in the comments!