If you’re looking for a fabulous tomato cream sauce recipe, you’ve gotta try this one!
One of my favorite recipes as a child was my mom’s sour cream sauce over chicken breasts with wild rice. The bit I liked was the rice with the sauce, so I really wanted to create my own healthy version.
Tomato Cream Sauce recipe
Serves 4 (generously!)
You will need:
A food processor (or the chopper attachment of your hand blender)
A blender or hand blender
Ingredients for the tomato mixture
- 1½ cups/270g fresh tomatoes, cut in quarters
- ¼ cup/40g chopped red onion or scallions (spring onions) (optional)
- ¼ cup/60ml olive oil
- ¼ cup/20g fresh chives, or 1½ tablespoons dried
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, or 1½ teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
Ingredients for the sour cream sauce
- 1½ cups/210g cashews, soaked in 1 cup/240ml water for at least 3 hours (or overnight), saving the soak water
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
How you do it
Mince the ingredients for the tomato mixture (no need to rinse the food processor if you’re using one). Put the mixture into a pan if you’re going to heat your sauce (see tips); if not, it can go straight into a bowl.
Blend the sour cream ingredients (including the soak water from the cashews) until you get a smooth sour cream. Check for consistency and add more water if you want a thinner sauce (note: If you’re making this in advance, the sauce will thicken a bit). Add your sour cream to the tomato mixture and mix well.
Heat your sauce if desired (see tips) and serve poured over veggie pasta, rice, mixed veg or anything else you can think of that would love a great cream sauce on top!
Rocking Raw Chef tips
- You can warm this sauce slightly before serving, but it actually tastes really good at room temperature.
- Any leftover sauce (ha!) will keep for at least three days in the refrigerator. And if you want to, you can make a double batch and freeze half for another day (yes you can freeze a lot of raw food dishes, how about that!)
- The sauce also makes an excellent dip for sliced veggies or sprouted bread/crackers. To serve four people as a dip, simply make half the recipe. Or make all of it and save some sauce for another day – you’ll be glad you did!
- Add meat or fish for meat-eaters and they’ll love it!
Want to see me in action?
I make a lot of recipes and share more tips at my YouTube channel – do check it out if you like videos that are slightly wacky…!
Enjoy your Tomato Cream Sauce recipe!
And of course, let me know what you think in the comments!