Potato salad is one of those classics that I really wanted to be able to eat, and have it be super healthy.
This dairy free recipe is delicious, and it’s way faster to make than the traditional version. Plus it’s a great excuse to have some Cashew Mayonnaise!
Dairy free potato salad recipe
Serves 4 as an accompaniment to a green salad or light main.
You will need:
A knife and cutting board
A hand blender or blender
Ingredients for the Cashew Mayonnaise (makes 1 cup/240ml)
- 1/3 cup/50g cashews, soaked and then drained (soak overnight for creamiest texture)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or flax oil (I prefer avocado oil for the taste)
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ fresh garlic clove, chopped, or a pinch of garlic powder
Ingredients for the salad
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed finely
- 2 shallots or 4 scallions (spring onions), finely chopped
- ¼ cup/5g fresh chives, chopped (save a bit for the garnish, if desired)
How you do it
Blend the mayonnaise ingredients in a hand blender (because of the small quantity).
Mix the salad ingredients together in a bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise. Sprinkle some more chopped chives over the top before serving, if desired.
Serve small amounts (½ cup/120ml serving per person) alongside a leafy green salad, some sliced fresh tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, or a light main dish.
Rocking Raw Chef tips
- This dish is very filling, as sweet potatoes have a lot of fiber.
- White potatoes cannot be eaten raw, as they contain an alkaloid called solanine that cause nasty cramps and gas. Sweet potatoes (sometimes called yams) are fine though. You want the ones that are orange inside, not white.
- For a lighter version of this kind of dish, you could substitute half of the sweet potato for some chopped apple or zucchini (courgette).
- You could make double the amount of Cashew Mayonnaise so that you can use the rest on sandwiches or for dipping. Any unused mayonnaise will keep in the refrigerator for at least 3 days (and probably longer).
Want more recipes like this?
More gorgeous salad recipes are in my 5-Minute Salads & Sauces, along with recipes for Asian Style Salad with Ginger Dressing, Quick Taco Salad, Cucumber Salad with Coconut Chili Dressing, and more.
Enjoy your dairy free potato salad recipe!
And of course, let me know what you think in the comments!